From the Health Service Journal:
NHS England has appointed the directors of most of the organisation’s new ‘sub regions’ which are to be created as part of a restructure designed to cut costs by 15 per cent.
The 12 sub regions will replace the current 24 area teams outside of London when the new structure is introduced in shadow form from 5 January.
It will reduce the number of very senior managers by up to 25 per cent and see NHS England outside the capital operate more like the London region, with staff working for different areas as required.
The new sub region which will include Thames Valley and Bath area team is yet to appoint a director
Directors of commissioning operations have been appointed in nine areas.
An email to staff sent today said the remaining three posts would be advertised “more widely but still internally within NHS England” next week.
It said: “These new roles will be key in the single integrated regional tier. Whilst the individuals will have responsibility for their sub regional patch, they will be working flexibly as part of the regional team.”
The three regions NHS England has failed to appoint in are the sub regions covering the current Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear and Durham, Darlington and Tees area teams; the Thames Valley and Bath, Gloucestershire, Swindon and Wiltshire area teams; and the Wessex area team which is to become a sub region.
Most of the appointees are covering areas that were not previously part of their patch (see below).
The newly appointed sub regional directors of commissioning operations are:
- Moira Dumma - Yorkshire and the Humber (former director of Cheshire, Warrington and Wirral area team)
- Graham Urwin - Lancashire and Greater Manchester (former director of Shropshire and Staffordshire area team)
- Clare Duggan - Cheshire and Merseyside (former director of Merseyside area team)
- Wendy Saviour - North Midlands (former director of Birmingham and Black Country area team)
- David Sharp - Central Midlands (former director Leicestershire and Lincolnshire area team)
- Andrew Reed - West Midlands (former director of East Anglia area team)
- Andrew Pike - East (former director of Essex area team)
- Anthony Farnsworth - South West (former director of Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset and South Gloucestershire area team and acting director of Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly area team)
- Felicity Cox - South East (formerly director of Wessex area team)