BIOS respond on behalf or our members on a wide range of consultations from organisations across the UK, to ensure that we have a voice on matters of importance to the orthoptic profession.
Consultations may be written by members of our Board of Trustees or Council of Experts, by Clinical Advisory Groups, by our Policy Officer or by individual members with a particular expertise. However, we are always looking for members to feed into this process to ensure that our responses are member-led and reflect the views of the profession as a whole.
If you would like to feed into any consultations, or to notify us of a policy consultation you think we’ve missed, please email [email protected].
- 16/10/2023 – NHS England Engagement on in-school eye testing for pupils in special schools in England (Consultation page)
- 16/06/2023 – HCPC Consultation on standards of conduct, performance and ethics (Consultation page)
- 21/12/2022 – HCPC Consultation on Preceptorship (Consultation page)
- 15/12/2022 – HCPC Consultation on proposed changes to the fees charged to registrants and applicants (Consultation page)
- 18/07/2022 – GOC – Call for evidence on the Opticians Act and consultation on associated GOC policies (Consultation page)
- 31/03/2022 – DHSC – Healthcare regulation: deciding when statutory regulation is appropriate (Consultation page)
- 06/12/2021 – DVLA – Amending the Road Traffic Act 1988 to allow registered healthcare professionals to complete DVLA medical questionnaires (Consultation page) – (Proposed legal change announced May 2022)
- 17/09/2021 – NI Department of Health – Future Planning Model: Integrated Care System NI (Consultation page)
- 05/09/2021 – Health Education England – Long-Term Strategic Framework for Health and Social Care Workforce Planning (Consultation page)
- 16/06/2021 – DHSC – Regulating healthcare professionals, protecting the public (Consultation page)
- 12/04/2021 – Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) – Consultation on the revised Guidance on Health and Character (Consultation page)
- 30/10/2020 – Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) – Proposed changes to the standards of proficiency for all professions on the register (Consultation page)
- 17/06/2020 – Welsh Parliament Health, Social Care and Sport Committee – The impact of the Covid-19 outbreak, and its management, on health and social care in Wales (Joint-AHP Response) (Inquiry Page)
- 08/05/2020 – Health and Social Care Committee: Delivering Core NHS and Care Services during the Pandemic and Beyond (Inquiry page)
- 14/10/2019 – DHSC: Advancing out health: prevention in the 2020s (Consultation page)
- 31/08/2019 – Department of Health Northern Ireland: Reshaping Stroke Care Consultation – Saving Lives, Reducing Disability (Consultation page)
- 28/06/2019 – UK National Screening Committee: Screening for vision defects in children (UK NSC Recommendation Page)
- 25/04/2019 – NHS England: Implementing the NHS Long Term Plan – Proposals for possible changes to legislation (Consultation Pages)
- 13/02/2019 – NICE: Stroke Rehabilitation in Adults (2013) Guideline CG162 (Guideline pages) (Consultation document)
- 13/12/2018 – HCPC: Consultation on HCPC registration fees (Consultation page)
We often submit joint responses alongside other professional bodies, as part of the Allied Health Professions Federation (AHPF). These responses can be found on the AHPF website, here.