Who should see an Orthoptist?2019-07-03T09:12:31+01:00

Who should see an orthoptist?

  • All children with reduced vision, which has not been corrected with glasses

  • All children or adults who have a turn in one eye (misalignment of the eyes)
  • All children or adults who have uncontrolled movements of the eyes

  • Anyone who experiences double vision
  • Anyone who has visual symptoms affecting their education or employment which is not corrected by glasses

All Orthoptists see patients presenting with

Amblyopia (sometimes known as lazy eye)

Strabismus (misalignment of the eyes)

Double Vision

Blurred Vision

Refractive errors

Ptosis (drooping of the eye lid)

Nystagmus (uncontrolled constant eye movements)

Ocular head postures

How can an orthoptist help me?

  • The orthoptist will offer treatments which include; eye patches, eye exercises, prisms or glasses.

  • The orthoptist will offer advice to help you and others understand your condition and to adapt to any visual difficulties.

How do I get to see an orthoptist?

  • For an appointment you can ask your GP, health visitor, school nurse, optometrist or hospital consultant

The following groups of people have a higher incidence of eye problems and should be seen by an orthoptist

  • Children and young people with special educational needs

  • Children born prematurely or of low birth weight

  • People with neurological conditions eg stroke, brain tumour, multiple sclerosis
  • People with endocrine disorders e.g. over active thyroid, diabetes