We are pleased to announce funded role opportunity for an enthusiastic and dedicated Orthoptist.
3 days per week – Band 6
Start date August 2021 for 12 months
Secondment opportunity for 1 person or a job share considered
Reimbursement to the employing organisation (or by personal invoice if working part time) at a maximum level of mid scale band 6
COVID-19 has severely affected the offer and availability of clinical placements for undergraduate orthoptic students.
BIOS is looking to appoint a clinical placement Co-ordinator to to oversee and manage the National Equitable Allocation Scheme (NEAS) engaging with individual clinical placement sites to encourage them to increase their capacity to provide quality educational experiences for students with the appropriate support to do so.
It is vital that this restoration and expansion programme is led by an orthoptist(s) who understands the requirements clinically of each placement in relation to specific clinical outcomes and case load available at each Trust.
The Clinical Placement Co-ordinator will contact, support and plan the NEAS recovery liaising directly with placement sites and clinical tutors. Working with HEI clinical placement leads and the lead clinical tutor on EPDC they will also support new ways of delivering placements to increase capacity to ensure all 4 HEIs can accommodate all years of students with the placement requirements. Applicants must have excellent communication and organisational skills and be able to work effectively across organisational and regional/ country boundaries
- Provide all orthoptic undergraduates with the minimum exposure to clinical face to face experience that meets the current learning needs and that cannot be delivered in a remote or virtual environment.
- Consolidates the theoretical and evidence based clinical decision-making skills and clinical reasoning skills into practice both face to face and via the new BIOS resources portal.
- Ensure the number of active placement sites reach at least the pre COVID-19 levels as a minimum and are based on the WTE calculation for equitable placement.
- To ensure that all years of students across the 4 HEIs have the required number of clinical placements
- Explore new delivery options to increase sites and student capacity
Applicants must be able to start before the new academic year and have the support of their line manager.
Please submit to the following documents, by email, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email header “Clinical Placement Co-ordinator”:
- Expression of interest statement and CV which details how you meet the requirements of the position and could deliver on the objectives of the project.
- A supporting letter from your manager.
Informal enquiries to: Veronica Greenwood – Chair BIOS – email@example.com
Prof Helen Davis – Education Lead BIOS firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 23rd July 2021
Provisional Interview date: 27th July or 5th August