Report on eye health and sight loss statistics for England launched
A comprehensive eye health and sight loss statistics report for England has been launched today by the UK Vision Strategy Partnership.
Did you know for example that:
- In 2011/12, there were a total of 6.8 million outpatient attendances at hospitals under the specialities Ophthalmology, Paediatric Ophthalmology and Medical Ophthalmology
- The number of ophthalmology outpatient attendances is increasing, with Ophthalmology has the second highest number of outpatients amongst any speciality (HSCIC, 2012a).
- There is limited information on why people attend an ophthalmology outpatient appointment....
The report brings together data for England on all aspects of eye health and sight loss including:
• The rate of Certification of Vision Impairment
• The numbers registered with sight loss or severe sight loss
• Sight tests
• Outpatient and inpatient information including waiting times
• Expenditure on eye care and treatments
Anita Lightstone, UK Vision Strategy Programme Director said:
“This report brings together key eye health and sight loss statistics for England in a straightforward and easy to use format.
“We hope this report will be a useful resource to eye health professionals, local authorities and voluntary sector organisations a like so they can assess the impact of their work and plan ahead for future opportunities and challenges”.
To read the report visit: www.vision2020uk.org.uk/ukvisionstrategy/statistics